At Healthy Body, our chiropractors use Active Release Technique!
What is Active Release Technique?
Active Release Technique™, or ART™, is a soft tissue release/massage method that focuses on relieving tissue tension. ART™ accomplishes this by breaking up the adhesions which can occur as the result of repetitive strain or injury. Our chiropractors use it to reduce your pain and therefore restore your ability to move.
ART™ is used to treat muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, and nerves. Use of the technique has three main goals:
- Restore free and unrestricted motion of soft tissues
- Release entrapped nerves, blood, and lymph vessels
- Re-establish healthy function, tone, and circulation to muscle
Conditions Treated by ART™
There are many conditions effectively treated by Active Release Technique™. Here's just a few of them:
- Chronic headaches
- Back pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Shin splints
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Tennis Elbow
What Can I Expect?
Our chiropractors, certified in Active Release Technique™, will first evaluate your movements, including strength, range of motion, and any tender/painful spots.
Once the assessment is complete, each area of dysfunction will be treated. The basic form of an ART™ treatment is this:
- The muscle under treatment will be shortened
- The chiropractor will use his or her hands to apply compression and tension to the shortened muscle
- The patient will then be instructed to move in a certain direction until their tissue end range is felt
These steps, performed correctly, will exert a therapeutic effect on the body, reducing muscle tone and stimulating the immune system to break down scar tissue & adhesions. After our chiropractor performs 3-5 passes on you, you should notice your pain decreasing and functional range of motion improving!