What is Active Release Technique?
Active Release Technique™, or ART™, is a soft tissue release/massage method that focuses on relieving tissue tension. ART™ accomplishes this by breaking up the adhesions which can occur as a result of repetitive strain or injury. Our chiropractors use it to reduce your pain and therefore restore your ability to move.
ART™ is used to treat muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, and nerves. Use of the technique has three main goals:
- Restore free and unrestricted motion of soft tissues
- Release entrapped nerves, blood, and lymph vessels
- Re-establish healthy function, tone, and circulation to muscle
Conditions Treated by ART™
Here’s just a few of them:
- Chronic headaches
- Back pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Shin splints
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Tennis Elbow
What Can I Expect?
Our chiropractors, certified in Active Release Technique™, will first evaluate your movements, including strength, range of motion, and any tender/painful spots.
Once the assessment is complete, each area of dysfunction will be treated. The basic form of an ART™ treatment is this:
- The muscle under treatment will be shortened
- The chiropractor will use his or her hands to apply compression and tension to the shortened muscle
- The patient will then be instructed to move in a certain direction until their tissue end range is felt
These steps, performed correctly, will exert a therapeutic effect on the body, reducing muscle tone and stimulating the immune system to break down scar tissue and adhesions. After our chiropractor performs 3-5 passes on you, you should notice your pain decreasing and functional range of motion improving!